I could use a bit of feedback here, though...
I have a choice-- build it myself, or have it built for me.
If I were to build it myself, I would have a really cool case and components, the satisfaction of having built it myself, and, well, that's about it1.
If I let these people build it, I could have everything I want except the cool case, the Seagate drive and the Plextor burner; have it built for me (saving me considerable time and frustration, no doubt); have it burnt-in, Winstone99 tested and warranteed; and possibly even save a few bucks.
Here's what I would choose if they were to build it for me:
- SOYO SY-K7V-DRAGON PLUS VIA KT266A AMD SKT A 200/266MHz FSB 3DIMM/5PCI/1AGP w/RAID ATX MOTHERBOARD
- AMD ATHLON XP PROCESSOR 2000+ WITH QUANTISPEED ARCHITECTURE (1666MHz) OEM
- Kingston 512MB DDR 64X72 PC266 Non-Parity Unbuf DIMM 2.5V CL2.5 ECC
- ThermalTake A1139 VOLCANO 6 CU BALL BEARING COPPER AMD SKT 462 & INTEL SKT 370 HEAT SINK & FAN
- MSI STARFORCE 822 MS-8822 VIDEO CARD GEFORCE3 64MB DDR 256BIT INT. BUS 500MHZ RAM DVD
- TEAC 1.44MB Floppy Drive OEM PACKAGE
- LOGITECH CORDLESS WIRELESS FREEDOM MOUSE & KEYBOARD COMBO RF RETAIL W/RECEIVER & SOFTWARE.
- TOSHIBA 16X DVD ROM / 48X CD-ROM Random access: 115ms DVD-ROM SD-M1502-TA
- WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR WD800BB 80GB UA100 8.9MS 2MB 7200RPM OEM (3yr warranty)
- CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY PLATINUM PCI SOUND CARD RETAIL BOX2
- MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL DSP FULL VERSION * 1 PACK
If I go with this, I'll pick up the Plextor burner later and add it in.
Total price would be $1520 with one case; $1571 with the other.
I'm really not keen on the cases, but there are two I could live with. I'd appreciate some feedback on them.
One's a CODEGEN ATX-6016G5 300WATT P4 READY 5.25"X4 3.5"X1 3.5"(HIDDEN)X2 MID TOWER, the other is an IN-WIN S506 350W MID-TOWER ATX COMPUTER CASE.
I'm not sure how important getting a bigger PS might be, or the implications of their other differences (including value-- the second case is $50 more than the first).
Your thoughts on the cases? On the system itself?
1 Other than the mandatory cuts on my hands, and lack of sleep.
2 Yes, I realize this card sometimes causes issues with the Dragon Plus... but many report there are no problems at all if it's in the fourth PCI slot. Guess I'll have to take that on faith for now.