According to boingboing:
It's a UK based conference of emerging memes (foafy-crypto-socio-semantic-typographic-a
ctivist-style) empowered with technology (wi-fi, wikis, audio feeds, irc, etc.)"
And their goals, according to wtfcon's very wiki site:
The very first WTF, an open space conference of various grassroots projects, people, and organisations, will be happening from 11am onwards on Saturday, 27th of March @ the 491 Gallery, 491 Grove Green Road, London E11, UK.
- Promote Genuine Progress Indicator (and here) as opposed to Gross Domestic Product
- Discover and promote alternative sustainable ways of generating energy
- Stopping the arms trade
- Making the World Bank group (WTO, IMF, WB, etc.) completely transparent and democratically controlled.
- Abolish Corporate Personhood.
- Expose the lies that are coming from centralised forms of power (such as World Bank Group, governments, WHO, cancer research charities, etc.)
- Decentralise all power structures and empower individuals (Federalised communities)
- Promote local, organic, small scale food production
- Legalise raw dairies and all forms of plants
- Decriminalise all forms of drugs
- Tobin tax
- Require Total Transparencies from Government (Sweden (?) already has it)
- Unconditional subsistence income (aka Basic income; Citizens income, etc.) see http://www.progress.org/dividend/index.shtml and from me:- http://udoo.org/why_no_basic_income
- Freedom of movement between countries for all people, provided they accept the local rules
- More hugs
How can I resist a gathering of smart people who list "more hugs" as one of their diverse goals?
Want want want want want want want....
Dammit. I may have to find a way to go to this:
I prefer the UK's WTF broader-range approach to NY's more telecom-based focus, but NY is a helluva lot closer.
And I really really really need to find a way to get my ass to SIGGRAPH this year-- it's in LA again.
Note to self: whore writing talents to mags this month.