*smooch* (ldy) wrote,

  • Mood:
  • Music:

Phoney balogna

First off, a big wonderful HAPPY BIRTHDAY to nbbmom! Woohoo!

Now, to explore the idiocy that is Ldy's mind.

So, I'd planned on being online last night. There were a lot of things I needed to catch up on.

Suddenly, my browser started spazzing. I couldn't connect to anything.

I geeked-out on the problem for awhile. Went through all the standard troubleshooting steps: hard-booting, purging browser cache, etc.
  • Pinging: worked for the most part.

  • Verizon software: said all was good.

  • Mail: seemed to be communicating with the server.

  • Modem: cycled back up, all the pretty blinkenlights were blinkening.

  • Netstat: showed established connections.

  • Ipconfig: looked fine, though the subnet mask looked wrong, and I could neither /release nor /renew.

"Aha," said I, "it appears to be a problem with the subnet mask!"

Mind you, I'd been wrestling with this problem for hours.

So, feeling secure in my ubergeekocity, I picked up the phone to call Verizon...

...and got no dial-tone.

My phone had been dead (or close to it) the entire time.

I am an idiot.

But wait-- this gets better-- this is the second time I've gone through this very same procedure.

[insert forehead slap here]

Note to self: When web access is dead in the water, pick up the damned phone.

Three times to learn the lesson, they say. Let's see if I can do it in two this time ;)

Anywho, long story short: if you emailed me last night, I didn't get it. Mail seems to have fetched, lost connection, and devoured.

I hope it was tasty.

To the karaoke bar, Robin!

I was so frustrated with this turn of events that I went to karaoke (despite not feeling too great) at 10pm (which should be my bedtime, not my goingout time). I used a friend's phone there to call Verizon.

I went through the entire automated repair system. Fifteen minutes of button-pushing. The synthesized voice informed me that yes, there was a problem, and a problem report was being prepared. Where could I be rea... *STATIC*

So I ran outside. "We REALLY need to know where we can reach you!" Who knew automation could be so emotional?

So I put in my work number.

Evidently, my work number wasn't to their liking, because I was informed I'd be transfered to a live representative.

"We're sorry, all lines are busy... please call back and use our automated phone system! Thank you!"


I didn't call back.

Making the best of a bad situation

I stayed out too late. Shame on me. But I saw a lot of friends, and caught up on some stuff.

I sang Material Girl (first time-- sang it well, too!), It's Raining Men (w/ Am and Jo-- I sang REALLY BADLY), and Dirty Deeds (rocked the house, yo). Even with my voice being shot, I did pretty well; and singing is such a wonderful catharsis.

Hung out with Joanna, Amanda, Kris A, and DM Jack. I see those folks too rarely. So glad I stopped in.

Turns out, Joanna will be playing the murder mystery role that I cannot, which is very cool. And funny, in a way. She'll do great.

We are sick, we are sick, we are sick sick sick

My glands were like large angry marbles this morning, and my sinuses were filled with wet cement-- I'm thinking now that perhaps the new script didn't give me flu-like symptoms yesterday... it was probably a bug (maybe even, get this, a flu bug).

Further proof that the simplest solution is usually the correct one ;) (Oh, like I needed further proof!)

So, I went to call-in late to work.

And of course the phone was dead :P


So I sucked it up and just went to work. I've been loading up on Olive Leaf and Colostrum, and am feeling quite a bit better already.

Stupid, but better.

Now I'm off to pick up a birthday cake for a coworker :)

How YOU doin'?

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.